Goethe Zitat :" In dem Augenblick, in dem man sich endgültig einer Aufgabe verschreibt........"

2 Antworten

Gemeint ist offenbar ein verbreitetes Goethe zugeschriebenes Zitat, in deutscher Sprache so oder ähnlich:

„In dem Augenblick, in dem man sich endgültig einer Aufgabe verschreibt, bewegt sich die Vorsehung auch.
Alle möglichen Dinge, die sonst nie geschehen wären, geschehen, um einem zu helfen.
Ein ganzer Strom von Ereignissen wird in Gang gesetzt durch die Entscheidung, und er sorgt zu den eigenen Gunsten für zahlreiche unvorhergesehene Zufälle, Begegnungen und materielle Hilfen, die sich kein Mensch vorher je so erträumt haben könnte.
Was immer Du kannst, oder dir vorstellst, dass du es kannst, beginne es.
Kühnheit trägt Genius, Macht und Magie.
Beginne jetzt.�?

Es gibt keinen Nachweis, daß dieses angebliche Goethe-Zitat wirklich eine von Goethe geschriebene Aussage ist.

Tatsächlich liegt dem Zitat etwas zugrunde, was der schottische Bergsteiger und Schriftsteller William Hutchison Murray (1913 – 1996) geschrieben hat. Die Stelle, ab der dessen Gedanken aufgegriffen werden, beginnt mit:

„Until one is committed, there is hesitance, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary thruth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment, one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too.�?

William Hutchison Murray gibt kurz danach vermeintlich Goethe-Verse wieder, wobei diese aber aus einer englischen Übertragung stammen, die eher eine freie inhaltliche Zusammenfassung ist.

Ein Suche ist grundsätzlich in Goethe-Wörterbüchern, Büchern mit Goethe-Zitaten und allgemeinen Zitatlexika möglich.

einen Hinweis enthält:

The Yale book of quotations. Edited by Fred R. Shapiro. Foreword by Joseph Epstein. New Haven, Connecticut; London : Yale University Press, 2006, S. 315 (Goethe 26):

„Whatever you can do, or dream, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it!

Attributed in William Hutchinson Murray, The Scottish Himalayan Expedition (1951). Widely attributed to Goethe, following Murray, but it in fact appears to be at best a paraphrase of a line from Goethe's Faust: "Now at last let me see some deeds!"�?

William Hutchison Murray, The Scottish Himalayan Expedition. London : Dent & Sons, 1951, S. 6 – 7:
„It was the first Scottish one, no member of the party had any experience of Himalayan mountaineering, none could speak Hindustani, we had no adequate maps (and indeed they were to be brought in this country), and we had only eight weeks' grace to sailing date. The very food that we should require was strictly rationed. How, in these circumstances, does one organize an expedition to the Himalaya?

The situation appeared to my sense of humour. I sat back and relaxed, waiting with no little interest to see what would happen next. The initiative, I felt, was Scott's, he had spoken first. A week of inaction passed. Then Scott jolted me out of my benign idleness by asking me to take the lead and issue orders. I must now make it clear that I knew my companions well enough to realize that no leader in the old German sense Bergsfuehrer, would be tolerated. If such a one should raise his ugly head they would bruise it as the head of the serpent. We were all, in our own ways, somewhat rugged individualists, and from beginning to end my own constant endeavour was never to issue orders. There were occasions when I went to extremes in this direction rather than go to its opposite. I believe that the benefits in the end far outweighed the disadvantages. At the very outset, however, no such happy course was possible. An organization had to be laid down promptly in the form of battalion orders. But when I said that nothing had been done I erred in one important matter. We had definitely committed ourselves and were half-way out of our ruts. We had put down our passage money - booked a sailing to Bombay. This may sound too simple, but is great in consequence. Until one is committed, there is hesitance, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary thruth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment, one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise ocurred. A whole stream of events issues from decision raising one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and material assistance, whoch no man, could have dreamt would have come this way. I learned a deep respect for one of Goethe's couplets:

Whatever you can do or dream you can do, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.
�?

In einer Übersetzung vom Englischen Ins Deutsche wird daraus zum Beispiel: „Was immer du erträumst, beginn' es: Wagnis hat Macht, Genie und Zauberkraft!“

Das angebliche Zeilenpaar (Couplet) von Goethe ist wohl aus Gedanken »Faust« entwickelt.

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Faust. Der Tragödie erster Teil (1808). Vorspiel auf dem Theater, Vers 214 – 230 (Director):

„Der Worte sind genug gewechselt,
Laßt mich auch endlich Thaten sehn;
Indeß ihr Complimente drechselt,
Kann etwas nützliches geschehn.
Was hilft es viel von Stimmung reden?
Dem Zaudernden erscheint sie nie.
Gebt ihr euch einmal für Poeten,
So kommandirt die Poesie.
Euch ist bekannt was wir bedürfen,
Wir wollen stark Getränke schlürfen;
Nun braut mir unverzüglich dran!
Was heute nicht geschieht, ist Morgen nicht gethan,
Und keinen Tag soll man verpassen,
Das Mögliche soll der Entschluß
Beherzt sogleich beym Schopfe fassen,
Er will es dann nicht fahren lassen,
Und wirket weiter, weil er muß.“

Dem, was William Hutchison Murray schreibt, liegt wohl zugrunde:

Faustus, a dramatic mystery. The bride of Corinth. The First Walpurgisnacht. Translated from the German of Goethe and illustrated with notes by John Anster. London : Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown& Longman, 1835, S. 15 (Manager):

„Are you in earnest? Seize this very minute –
What you can or dream you can, begin it,
Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.
Only engage, and then the mind grows heated –
Begin and then the work will be completed.”